2018 ~ The Year of SSB Transceivers
6/1 ~ More Progress on the Touch Screen
Start Drooling -- you too can have one of these --www.kookye.com Buy it at Amazon.
5/24 ~ A Dual Conversion Transceiver!
Perhaps one of the most sterling examples of a Double Conversion Transceiver is the UBitx which is currently enjoying international acclaim and wide spread "tinkering".
In 2012 I built the KWM-4 which was a double conversion with a 1st IF of 10,7 MHz and used an FM type crystal filter for the 1st IF and that signal was mixed with a fixed 10.245 MHz crystal oscillator to result in a difference of 455 kHz. That worked very well using the cylindrical (early KWM2 style) filter. So now I have two Collins 455 kHz, mechanical filters with one at 2.1 kHz Band Width (bathtub later version) and a second at 3.2 kHz cylindrical type. These are begging to be used in a new rig.
My earlier venture used a K5BCQ Si-570 board to control frequencies using channels for LSB and USB. In essence I shifted the 1st LO frequency just a bit up/down to account for the USB/LSB shift with a fixed frequency 2nd oscillator. Now using the 3rd clock on the Si5351 I can shift that 2nd mixer frequency up/down just a bit in synchronization with the USB LSB switch. Bottom line the displayed frequency doesn't shift when you change sidebands. Another bonus -- 17 Meters which is a problem when you use a 9 MHz single conversion IF.
The double conversion enables many possibilities. BTW am only using about 12% of the MEGA storage. A seed for thought how to makes this work with the Iowa Hills software so we can add digital filtering for DSP. I haven't explored this as yet but I think the kookye.com display can have selectable display screens -- hmmm a second screen with a waterfall so I can see the energy below 300 hertz.
5/20 Functionalities: What You Get?
A recap of what you get with this new display:
- For starters about 16M colors 256^3
- Large display area 3.2 X 2.4 Inches
- Fonts such as the Seven Segment Numerical Display
- Integral Arduino Mega 2560 with Adapter Plate
- 300K Program Space ~ 50+ Digital Pins and 16 Analog Pins
- This specific display "Juliano Blue" has USB/LSB Select
- Tune function with Flashing LED and Green LED Transmit
- On PTT Green LED Display to show "On the Air".
- Large 7 Segment Display of Frequency with NO Flickering
- Band Switch with 5 Bands installed ~ Using a 12 position switch that can be 12 bands
- Step tuning rate select ~ now three rates [ 100Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz] but can be six.
- Bar Graph S Meter ~ Lime Green
- Additional features that can be added such as High SWR LED or High Temp LED or even High Temp Linear Amp LED.
- The TUNE Function provides a Timed, Pulsed 988 Hz Tone dumped into the Balanced Modulator after suitable off board filtering to make it look more like a Sine Wave.
- The access to the Digital/Analog Pins is through right angle header pins.
For the first foray using this new display this is all done in the "manual mode". The next phase will be with the touch screen push buttons and the Analog Meter.
Ok you EMRFD and UBitx illuminati --where is yours?
5/19 Analog Panel Meter on a Touch Screen Color TFT
5/18 Color TFT Touch Screen Video
320X240 Touch Screen with Integral Mega2560
Available @ Amazon
Purchase through the SolderSmoke Blog