Skip to main content

What a difference one letter doth make ~ A new SSB Transceiver

One Letter Change Makes for a Whole New Meaning.

7-30-2019. Some more rig photos added. I recently said I have built about three dozen homebrew SSB Transceivers --this is just a sampling. That number might be low if you count all the way back to 1970! If any ham has built more than this number of homebrew rigs --let me know. n6qwradiogenius@gmail.com

8-1-2019 This compilation is missing three rig photos including the Belthorn III and the Breadboard SSB. Also missing is the original ZL2CTM SDR XCVR. I think we are beyond 36.



In the background I am working on a new SSB Transceiver that will use the really "old technology" -- a crystal filter. Don't get too excited just yet, as the project is a way off. 

But noteworthy it appears my SDR adventures have left many uninterested in moving to the new state of the art -- that is OK too. Too bad though as it really is the new wave. Our hobby has a very large tent to accommodate the many interests. 





Yes I did work CW at one time...

Belthorn #1, SSB Transceiver from G4GXO
K1BQT's SSB Transceiver moved to 20 Meters. That front panel is 4X 4 Inches and the length is 8 inches. 5 Watts PEP.





W7ZOI's 20 Meter QRP SSB/CW Transceiver
W1VT's, 7 MHz CW Transceiver from QRP Power Article




A 17M Crystal Switched VXO Rig





A Ten Tec Model 540 converted to the Model 544 --my design and my implementation. 



Two shirt pocket Sized Transceivers -- Yes two of them.







The LBS on a Bread Board 3' X 3'




A 60M Five Channel with Tunable Channel #3



LBS II -- A Surface Mount Version of the LBS


 A 20M MMIC Based Bilateral SSB Transceiver 

K1SWL's White Mountain SSB Transceiver


Version #1 of W7ZOI's 20M QRP SSB/CW XCVR.

A 20M CW Transceiver ~ The Wooden Box Radio!

The Bitx20 Built over 10 years ago --with VFO Stabilizer and LCD Display. Sort of advanced for its time!

The Bitx40 before the Raduino was offered as standard.

Ten Tec #150A put on the Ham Bands


Rig in a Champagne Bottle


In many of my past projects I have given them specific names as that is an easy way for me to remember them. We had the LBS (Let's Build Something) which appeared in QRP Quarterly as did the JABOM ( Just A Bunch Of Modules). Then in the GQRP SPRAT we had my Sudden Transceiver. Perhaps many blog readers might remember the Simpleceiver.

Just recently in SPRAT was a project from EA land called the Perigrino which translated from the Spanish means Pilgrim. If you are not a GQRP Club member --you are wrong! Get a membership today!

So as I ponder the architecture of the new filter rig I was searching my brain regarding a special name.  My thoughts drifted to my Italian roots where a term is often used  to describe a countryman, pal or even the equivalent of homie. This would be a perfect metaphor which I see this new SSB transceiver being just that-- a pal. That word is  Paesano. 

Now if you spelled the word Paesano as Paisano -- boom you have shifted the meaning from pal or homie to "country bumpkin". Another such word is Pollock which is a nice white fish but changing the "o" to an "i" you have the word Pillock, which of course means a person who is not too bright!

Now here is a real connect the dots --- a Paisano is a Pillock by another name. I will let you extend the meaning of this to encompass the current world affairs.

This now causes me to ponder how many other words might exist that by changing one letter creates a whole different meaning.

So our new project will be called the Paesano and will be a classic filter rig using some rather basic modules but with a new twist on how they are connected. It should be much easier to comprehend for those of you who could not follow the SDR RADIG. But you do have to know which end of the soldering iron is the hot end.




Thus the Paesano is in work and not even close to sharing anything. However, this could result in a commercial endeavor so maybe not too much sharing. Hint -- it will use an INRAD Model #351, Four Pole Crystal Filter.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able