Skip to main content

January 13, 2024. Just Technical Stuff. Mary Jo is not mentioned today.


The value of a Simple Project. 

Several years ago I found in my stash of parts a bag of Motorola MC1496 Double Balanced Mixers. I think I purchased a dozen from a reputable US Supplier and the cost was $6. No Alibaba stuff here.


I hit upon an idea to build an SSB transceiver using nothing but the MC1496's in all the major pieces like the Rx and Tx mixers the Balanced Modulator and the Product Detector. (4 pieces out of the 12.) The IF Stage would be built using Dual Gate MOSFET's, the 40673.
 
But I thought it might be wise to build a test circuit first to assure all of the MC1496 devices worked and perhaps cherry pick the best of the 12 for the circuit modules.
 
The DCR Board with the MC1496, 2N3904, LM380N-8
 
Underside of the DCR

What better way to test the MC1496's than to build a simple Direct Conversion Receiver using a socket to cycle the devices under test and my go to 2N3904/LM380 audio amp. 
 
While under construction I thought about an RF amp stage and wanted to try a 2N3906 PNP transistor just to piss off those who only use the 2N3904.
 
 
What resulted astonished me! Of course no Analog VFO crap so I used the Arduino/Si5351 for the LO. It was so good that I wrote an article for the GQR-P Club SPRAT on the DCR project.
 



To my surprise this project hit a nerve and I have received about 160 requests world wide for the Arduino sketch and know many of these were actually built. Along the way I got help from two UK hams who built the project and they too published data on their MC1496 project efforts. I have been told that this was one of the most popular projects published by the G-QRP Club. 
 
Just today I received an email, some several years later, that another MC1496 is inhaling RF. Of note this build used a different Audio Amp and RF Amp plus he got some benefit from his son, a software guy, who programmed his Arduino Uno.
 
So in my response back to him was that there were 4 hidden benefits to his completing the project.
 
1)  He had some fits and starts but didn't give up.
2) He learned from the ground up how the Direct Conversion Receiver worked
3) He made substitutions based on what he could find. (A different Audio Amp IC and different RF Amp.)
4) He had a real sense of accomplishment in being able to say "I built that rig".
 
I have challenged him to get his son to program the Arduino so on demand the LO signal shifts 700 hertz and with a few more inexpensive parts has a CW transceiver. 


This afternoon the UK Ham who emailed me early this morning shared a photo of his final build. He had a defunct computer switching power supply and repurposed the case into an enclosure for his DCR. Bravo and Bellissimo! 

So, you couch potato heads who never build nothing hams -- get off your butt and get started!
 
BTW I did go on to actually build that MC1496 SSB transceiver and the 40673 IF stage came from SSDRA. I shared the MC1496 project with W7ZOI and he in turn  shared that with the original builder of the IF stage. The Circle is complete.
 
 

 
73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able