Skip to main content

January 23, 2024. Up with the re-newed!

So that you avid Blog readers are not cheated, presented next is more detail of the SSB Transceiver shown but not discussed on yesterday's posting. 

The genesis of this rig actually started with a project in the G-QRP Club SPRAT called the Sudden Receiver which was like an NE602 Product Detector and a simple RF amp stage and a few other bits and pieces. When I looked at that project it  SUDDENly struck me that this could form the basis of a SSB transceiver. 
 
This was the 1st time ever that I used two NE602's as the topology of an extended IF Module. Because of the way it was done, it was easier to use two Band Pass Filters.
 
So here goes. Looking at the photo below the Top BPF is the Receiver BPF. On the left side is a Matching transformer to match the Input of the NE602 which is not 50 Ohms. Paul Carr (SK) wrote a paper called the NE602 Primer where Carr shows that matching. Checking it now, it is like 1500 Ohms shunted by 3pF. Carr's paper also has select application circuits for the NE602. Read I researched the NE602 before I started.
 
[1500/50 = 30:1, with a close match to 11 turns and 2 turns where in 11^2 = 121 and 2^2 = 4. 121/4 ~ 30:1.]
 
The upper NE602 serves as the Receiver Mixer on   Receive but as the Balanced Modulator on Transmit. Thus, the relay to the left of the matching transformer switches the Input from the BPF on Receive to the Microphone Amp on Transmit.  
 
In the lower NE602, the relay switches the output of the 2nd NE602 to the Audio Amp stage on Receive and to the Transmit BPF on Transmit. Again, a matching transformer from the NE602 to the Transmit BPF.
 
Now something I try to avoid is switching LO and BFO signals across the circuitry depending on whether in transmit or receive. But it was done here. A simple DPDT relay cross connected provides an LO signal to the upper NE602 on Receive but that same device gets the BFO signal on Transmit. For the  lower NE602 it gets the BFO input on Receive and the LO input on Transmit. Basically two IC's and a lot of heavy lifting. 
 
Before anyone starts to type and chide me for not simply switching the Clock Functions in Software. In Receive CLK0 is the LO and CLK2 is the BFO. When a signal hits the Arduino from the PTT then SUDDENly CLK0 is now the BFO and CLK2 is the LO. Once transmit is cycled, the clocks revert back to the typical standard of CLK0 = LO and CLK2 = BFO. That did not work out too well in practice -- thus the relay.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Top view of the Sudden Main Board. There isn't a lot to it!
 
 

 
The  Sudden SSB Transceiver was published in the G-QRP Club SPRAT and I think there may be one or two You Tube videos where you can listen to the receiver. 
 
 
 
N6QW ~ Pure Genius!
 
 
 
2E0NTV's Build of the Sudden
  
Of Note: I was contacted by a person who identified himself as a NASA employee with a PhD in Electrical Engineering, wherein, he told me I made the worst choice of any device for use in the project by selecting something made for cell phones. His take was "not good for use in a ham rig". You know the usual IMD stuff and lacking gain and subject to cross talk. 
 
That could be but I certainly think it was a successful project with a minimum part count.
 
About a year after my  SUDDEN project, I spotted a single board 17M SSB transceiver in SPRAT from the EA QRP Club called the Pergrino (Pilgrim). It had two NE602's and a relay steered IF Module. I acquired the board where I eliminated about half the circuitry, installed a 9 MHz filter (INRAD Model 315)  and gave it the usual N6QW treatment and created the Paesano (Italian for Friend or Pal). One significant add to the Peregrino, I made, was matching to the NE602's and that was done on the underside of the board. The mismatch  was too large to simply ignore.
 
That too was published by SPRAT and even picked up by the EA QRP Club for publication. The relay steering of the Peregrino has now found its way into my projects like the P3ST .

What I used from the Peregrino





So if we never try we never know... This is worth a consideration and certainly NOT a Bitx. NOT from EMRFD, NOT a TIA and NOT a Facebook Group.
 
There, today you got a double measure of transceiver projects. However, a key point from today's post and that is the ability to see beyond just a small piece of circuitry and envision the possibilities of taking what you see and creating something entirely new or as the title says Re-New. 

73's
Pete N6QW




 

 
 










Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able