Skip to main content

May 11, 2024. Basically, I am really pissed off!

Being Italian, it does not take too much to get up my ire!  Yesterday on my phone showed up a link to a hackaday posting. It was a wonderful sharing about a spy type transceiver built into a matchbox. Not an Altoids tin but a real live match box! Then, I got pissed off!



Above is a photo of the project and the battery pack. The rig, a CW transceiver, is on 80M and even included a clandestine NVIS antenna. [NVIS, read a droopy dipole you can't get off the ground.]

I thought the project was superb and a real challenge and accomplishment! My irritation was how it was received by the hackaday lurkers! The designer is a well-known homebrewer and has built many spy type radios but this I believe is a first in a matchbox for him.

Comments came like "well another boring CW transceiver". Or "it is only a 1 transistor transmitter". How about "why didn't he use AM"?

Given some of the wording it appears these comments came from outside the US and besides not many US hams can or do homebrew rigs that fit in a match box.

I have a personal connection with this project as I can speak from experience that building a rig in a small form factor is more than 2 hours work. I do know what he had to do to come up with a working rig that fits in a really confined space.  I thought my 16 cubic inch SSB transceiver was small but not even close!

My P3ST rig when it appeared in hackaday got a similar reception like -- "there are no circuit boards". "N6QW didn't post the code on a GitHub." Or there are transistors in the LM386 and the Arduino and Si5351 --so he is lying when he says it is a 7 transistor SSB transceiver. 

[My view of GitHub is on par with my view of Nano VNA's. I am happy to share code and having an email request lets me track the response and from where there is interest in the project.]

Instead of celebrating that a homebrewer took on a challenge and was successful, we get the crap comments. With 100% certainty those who made the comments never built nor ever will build a project like this. I sense the real reason for the negative comments is a deep sense of envy that these wannabe commenters are incapable of pulling off such a project.

Recently I have taken to dusting off some of the rigs I have built and made a few contacts. I have been surprised at the number of contacts being made at QRP power levels. [Must be the sunspots.] 

Just yesterday with this radio (SMD version of the LBS) during the radio blackout I got a 5X5 from a POTA station in northern Utah. I checked the Pout, and it was slightly better than 1 watt!

Note the dust --it has been a long time since it was used.


Above is an SMD version of the Plessey amp and the cores are FT-23-43. The filter is an INRAD 4 pole filter kit. Note the grounding of the Crystal Cans. The matching caps (SSB) are SMD supplied with the kit.


The above photo shows the Mic Amp (left) and Audio Amp (right) where most of the stage is SMD. There was a great deal of time spent on circuit layout so that SMD parts could be used.

Oh, now the comments -- there is a circuit board but not on GitHub!

We must call out the lurkers for what they are and that is they are not true hams nor have the ham spirit. Our matchbox rig made a successful QSO on 80M at over 200KM. All of us should celebrate this accomplishment and recognize the few hams who have the knack and homebrew skills. 

73's
Pete N6QW


Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able