Skip to main content

May 15,2024. Opportunities for Converted Radios

 Could a Hackaday Lurker pull this off?








I have always had penchant for Ten Tec Radios and when I spotted a Ten Tec Model 150A commercial radio an idea came to mind. Why couldn't this 8 Channel, 2-12 MHz SSB/CW transceiver be modified for the lower ham bands? I found one on eBay and the cost was $99. Heck if it was a bust the parts alone would be worth $99.

This is not a project where you can simply heat up the iron and solder a few parts and you are there. It is a project where you need the manual, and you need to understand how the radio was designed and intended to work.

The stock 150A covered 2-12MHz with a 12MHz IF and operated USB. The BFO/Carrier Oscillator was at a fixed frequency and to add LSB requires a second filter. Drake (and others) did this in the TR-3/TR-4. I could not find the LSB filter so with a bit of Arduino/Si5351 magic I was able to use a single filter.

I ran across a ham who worked at Kachina and he had a set of 16MHz USB/LSB filters which he suggested using in the TT 150A. I tried that approach but the 16MHz scheme would need a bit more work on the internal networks. Since the Model 150A already had much of the heavy lifting done, I stuck with the single 12MHz Filter.

My study of the circuits clearly showed that it was not just a simple matter of ripping out the Crystal Oscillator circuits and popping in a boring Si5351 for there were Tuned Networks that required modification and adjustment.

Let me explain. In addition to the 8 Channel selection switch there was another 8-position switch to select the proper range of low pass filters. In between were certain other filter networks to assure that what was selected was indeed transmitted. 

In this posting I included the LT Spice Simulation of the network following the Receiver/Transmit Mixer stage. I was blown away that one network could pass such a broad band of frequencies. Try that with your precious Nano VNA. It appears that the network is a cascaded Low Pass and High Pass Filter that results in a really wide range Band Pass. 

The 1st problem with this network was that it indeed cuts off at 12 MHz, so we had to play with the circuit constants to extend that to slightly beyond 14 MHz. 

Copy this circuit as someday you might want a wide range band pass filter -- like on a front end of a receiver. 

In passing the Drake TR-7 uses a similar cascaded LPF/BPF approach with a twist. On receive they are connected directly, but on transmit the High Pass which comes 1st is connected to the input of the RF Brick and the output of the high-power stage is connected to the input side of the Low Pass Filter. Some very expensive high power PIN Diodes do signal steering!






 
 
 
 
I am posting this because of what I have seen with those hackaday lurkers that make disparaging comments about individual projects. This conversion took engineering skills and the ability to look beyond a GitHub listing. So, hackaday lurkers let us see your work!

Always slightly ahead of the curve.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able