Skip to main content

June 20, 2024. CQ FD, CQ FD, you are 5X9 please give your call again at least 3 times!


CQ FD, CQ FD. The station calling me, you are 5X9. Please repeat your call several times so I can log you.

Yes, that was a part of an exchange in a recent Field Day. That IS a case of Brown Shoes with a Black Tuxedo!

Field Day is upon us -- are you ready? Did you buy the several cases of Rolling Rock Beer, the three boxes of antiacid, Beano for the Spicy Chili and Bratwurst, a gallon of mosquito repellant, a new cell phone charger, SPF 100 sun block and loose pants. Don't forget the air wick and toilet paper for the Porta Potty. Long ago, JIC (just in case) if Mary Jo showed up mustn't forget some Bob's Big Boy Hamburgers.


This is a wonderful photo of a 112-inch military style (I didn't say military grade) folding whip antenna. This has the makings of a neat antenna system whether for FD or POTA/SOTA operations. 


I have one and Lauren Sanchez's boyfriend (Bezos) carries these at a cost of $45. They are well made and with some base loading coils and a matching network could work nicely with the Xiegu G106C Transceiver and the BJ-200 50-watt amp on 20M and up. Get out the plastic -- you only have 2 more days.

Baase Loading Coil. Use an Alligator Clip for the matching; Use a 3-wire counterpoise.

Use a car for an Anchoring Mechanism.

If I were to do FD, I would use an SDR QRP radio fitted with FT-8. But with a Twizzle -- I would locate outside a place that had free Wi-Fi. Then using my folding whip mounted on a camera tripod with a counterpoise, I could sit in an outdoor seating area and just enjoy the scenery -- after all ham radio IS a Chick Magnet.

This FD should prove interesting as I have noted the last two nights at around 8PM Left Coast time that the path to Russia has been wide open Several RA3 and RA5 stations were heard at a real 5X9 and no response back. Was this a boycotting of any Russian stations or a case most hams think the band is dead. Of note I frequently hear no SSB stations on 15M, but the FT-8 and CW stations are really loud. So, maybe this is a clue of where and what time to operate.

73's
Pete N6QW

 
 

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able