Skip to main content

March 12, 2024. I found it!

I spent the 1970's working in Southern California for McDonnell Douglas located in Long Beach.

During that time there was a Re-born Christian religious movement in  California, called "I Found It ". You only need to look at all of the bumper stickers in the parking lot that read I Found It, to see the impact of the movement.

Our Jewish brothers always ahead of the curve provided a simple competing bumper sticker with a Star of David and the words "We Never Lost It"!

We are not veering off on a religious theme this  posting but those words We Never Lost It embody the old time spirit of our wonderful hobby. But that only comes when the hobby is more than contesting or operating. Too many of our BTE's never found it and never will!

Today I want to share with you another rig I built. Several years ago, when there was a prolific output of rigs from the N6QW Laboratories, I built this jewel.


Of note this case was from a repurposed rig that had a 20X4 LCD hole cut in the middle of the panel. So how do you fit a rather nice Color TFT into a panel that has a gaping hole right in the middle?
 
The first thing was to create a picture frame around the gaping hole to focus your attention right in the middle. The next piece was the paint scheme, a tip from a marketing class in Grad school. Want to sell a lot of cereal -- a Black box with yellow printing! (The product was called Screaming Yellow Zonkers.)



 
But the neat part was the yellow panel is recessed behind the black picture frame. At one time I thought of adding lights to illuminate that yellow panel. But space behind the panel was a problem.
 
Then comes the color of the display. Yes, it is a two range VFO with VFO memory. I think what initially was a pig with lipstick, was now indeed a very nice-looking radio.




As a follow on to the prior post, this rig has the Plessey IF Module built in SMD form with the two ADE-1's serving as the Rx/Tx Mixer and the Product Detector/Balanced Modulator all on a circuit board that is wider than an inch and about 4.5 inches long. 
 
The packaged Crystal Filter is mounted off board for a reason. This rig is also a test bed where I have cycled about 5 or 6 filters (including HB) through this radio and all it takes is unsolder the matching transformers and bolt down the filter. 


A nice open layout.

So while my building days may be over, I haven't lost the lessons of the past as this is the value of actually building stuff. 

As we mentioned on this blog the demise of homebrew was noted in the late 1950's as more commercial hardware became available. 

There is a ham in Oregon with a two letter 2 call that always speaks about our need to listen and I want to encourage you the blog readers to take a short period of time to listen to the current conversations on the bands. 
 
Last night while doing the laundry as the washer/dryer is in the garage and next to one of my operating positions I was listening on 40M to a group of hams (all running pricey SDR's) talk about linear amps. It seems the "most wanted" list of amps are all solid-state LDMOS and a low end one at $3700 (only 800 watts) and the Collins of the 2024 is soon to be released legal limit amp by Apache Labs at a mere stripped-down price close to $6000. 
 
That is insane! I worked coast to coast and to Japan running only 60 watts with a homebrew SDR on 40M. I will bet none of the 40M group could fix a problem with their pricey amps as they never found it.

73's
Pete N6QW


 

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able