Skip to main content

More Transceiver Projects

Yesterday I received an email from Jim up in 7 land inquiring about some Arduino sketches and problems compiling the sketch. I think some of the code was provided by me. I too at times have noted some issues with sketches that previously complied "slick as anything" but then started to hiccup.


Has any one heard about Arduino code that may contain viruses?

Pete N6QW




SS Podcast #210 we talked about the Vintage Sideband Roundtable ~ at any minute smoke and flames can come from an old boat anchor. It is true!


Try this with your uBitx!

Pete N6QW 



Just can't leave well enough alone! #4




Search this blog for the Simpleceiver and you can see the painful detail on how to build one. The other day I was thinking about the original Simpleceiver and how that I still had most of the prototype boards still screwed down to a chunk of wood. Frankly I was OK with the 12.096 MHz crystal filter but still felt it has some short comings. So then I thought about popping in a 9 MHz GQRP Club Filter in the IF stage and that caused me to revisit the IF amp design and what it takes to move it down to 9 MHz which is the filter Cf.

A bit of digression as it was on this very prototype board that I came up with the single pass relay switched amplifier approach. Essentially the signal passes in a single direction through the IF Amp Block and on receive the signals coming from the Mixer Stage (SBL-1) are passed through the IF amp Block on to an ADE-1 which is now the Product Detector. With two relays and a bit of coax on transmit the ADE-1 is now the Balanced Modulator and its output is relay switched to the input side of the IF Block Amplifier stage and the Output Side which is now SSB is relay switched to the SBL-1 which is now the transmit mixer stage. There is no switching of the LO and BFO --just relay steering of the signals through the IF Amp Block Stage to always pass in a single direction.

The 12.096 MHz IF Amp block had just a few changes to resonate the tank circuit to 9 MHz. The 5.13 uHy inductor is made with a T-68-2 (Red Core) and has 30 turns of #24 enamel wire. The 400 pF is a 180 and 220 caps in parallel. Following the 2dB pad is a 6T to 19T matching transformer on a FT-37-43 Core (#26 enamel) as this matches 50 Ohms to 500 Ohms which is the Filter Zin. On the output of the filter is a 9T to 19T matching transformer to match the Z out (500 Ohms) to the input which is 2.2K [9^2 = 81 and 19^2 = 361. 361 / 81 = 4.45. 2.2K/500 = 4.4. Close enough for government work. ]

I needed a bidirectional amp stage ahead of the Band Pass Filter with one half being the receive RF amp and the other half the Transmit Pre-Driver. I had a board I made that was designed for the AG30386G MMIC amp and so I used that approach. Just as easily I could have used another J310 stage with relays to do the same job but opted for the MMIC stage since I had the board and the devices. The transmit driver is the standard 2N3904/2N3866 from EMRFD and the final is the IRF510. The Mic amp and Audio Amp were already on the prototype board (2N3904 for the Mic Amp and the Audio Amp is the NE5534 and LM380). I have now switched over to a newer (and better) mic amp design which now gives a flat response from 250 Hertz to over 10 kHz.

The console to the left is to be replaced as it was just pressed into service to get the project "hot on the air". The replacement is shown in the third photo.






-

 Yes a real kluge --but works --several QSO's so far including one running 600 watts! You have to love those GQRP Filters.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able