Skip to main content

Contact Verifications -- AKA QSL Cards

QSL Cards --- Things of the Past


Today's subject is QSL Cards. So for the BTE's who just recently got their license via a subscription to QST, you perhaps are not aware of this bit of radio history.

There are many urban legends regarding how QSL Cards came into existence. In the early pioneering days of radio it was easy to say I worked the east coast from the mid-west on 80M running a type 27 vacuum tube five watt TPTG CW transmitter. Yeah Right! But if you had a slip of paper from that other station affirming that contact then that was confirmation and proof positive that you really did make that contact. That slip of paper often was a post card that on one side contained the contact exchange and the other side was the usual mail To From address format and a place to put a stamp. 

Commercial radio broadcast radio stations in the 1920's liked receiving such cards as that gave them proof positive of their broadcast coverage --especially the clear channel stations like KDKA in Pittsburgh.

Then the ARRL stepped in and created awards for collecting cards like Worked All States or DXCC (100 countries) or the coveted worked all radio call areas  world wide. In the old days one had to send the confirming QSL cards. The use of the post cards made that pretty easy; but you did have to purchase the post cards from the post office and have printing placed on them or you had cards made. Whole new industries came out of the QSL Cards. BTW before QRZ.com there was the Radio Call Book Publication (The Flying Horse) where you could look up the call signs and addresses. Frequently the radio publications would have address info of some of the exotic stations.

The mailing of domestic  post cards was pretty easy as you either used the post office variety card and after filling out the info simply popped them in the mail or added a stamp to the other form cards and into the mail box. 

But another twist was added and that was the QSL Bureaus where you could bulk mail say a whole slew of cards to the bureau and then there was a process where cards for the station or for you were then distributed to the intended ham. For a small fee I have a bunch of envelopes on file at the W6 QSL bureau and periodically they mail me a batch of cards.

But if you wanted that very special DX card then you had to QSL direct and that often required sending IRC's (International Reply Coupons) so that the cost of sending you back a card was covered. But often it was extortion as the required IRC to send you back a card was less than the minimum you were told  was needed. Then there was the phrase "green stamps" only. Green Stamps = US Dollars. Who would do that ?? -- Well if you wanted a card from Bhutan, you did!

This meant that you had to send dollars to get a card back. There was a trick to this as often the mail would be rifled at the foreign country post office and the dollar bills stolen. Here was the trick. You used the front of one QSL card and the back of another then you carefully folded like a $5 bill and inserted it between the front and back cards and with a thin bit of Elmer's glue around the edges you pasted the cards together.  Some trick.

So what prompted this post. Two days ago I received an envelope with a QSL Card inside and the first thing that caught my eye were Amateur Radio Postage Stamps that are vintage 1970 on the primary envelope. The second thing was that the actual QSL card was a 1 Cent (penny) official US post card with the blank side printed with the exchange information. Man it has been a long long time since I saw a Penny Post Card let alone a Ham Radio Stamp. Someone must have a stash of these.

But as technology has moved on, the QSL process has changed too -- we now have Log Book of the World and e-Cards so that the US mail is being cheated out of revenue. But cost is an issue. I can remember that in the mid-1970's as I was pursuing DXCC I choked as I saw that one day I spent $45 on cards, postage, IRC's and Green Stamps just to get a few cards back. I stopped sending cards!

A bit of a note on a secondary aspect of the QSL process. Hams in foreign countries would email me direct and I should add I never asked for green stamps or IRC's. But they did send envelopes with colorful stamps. A fellow employee where I worked at that time was a stamp collector and I would provide him the envelopes so he could collect the stamps. He was ever so grateful as many of the stamps added significantly to his collection.

A bit of history came back to me as I opened that letter the other day. My printer is out of ink and today I need to get a new cartridge so I can print up a return card. The reason I like the homebrew card is that I can change the photo depending on the rig I am using. My process after printing is to then laminate the card as it is only typing paper. 

This makes for a durable card --and slipping a $5 bill between the front and back then laminating makes it hard to steal the $$$. The second card is from Midway Atoll (improperly called Midway Island as it is actually Midway Islands) where I was custodian of KM6BI. Keep in mind 3000 US Navy personnel and 6 single women (school teacher's). Three of the six were over 45! While I was stationed there, it was like being in prison for 13 months!

73's
Pete N6QW







Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able