Skip to main content

August 15, 2024. I get asked questions!

I get mail! Sounds like a cheesy movie title from 20 or so years ago. But I do get inquiries about some of the projects I have published or are shown on my websites or the you tube videos.

There is a recurrent theme in the emails. It goes like this -- I am new to homebrewing, I lack a lot of experience, and I saw your work finally can you help me. I respond and the next email to me is about wanting to build a 100-watt radio using an FPGA, having all bands, all modes and no bigger than a shoe box. 


Field Programable Gate Array (FPGA)


Given the many projects I have built, N6QW has never programmed or utilized an FPGA in a scratch-built rig. I can't figure out the staggering shift in going from say building a simple Direct Conversion Receiver to essentially replicating an ICOM IC7300 as a 1st project. 

Thus, I thought this may be a good time to corral some thoughts on what constitutes a good design to start a 1st homebrew project. Just because a design does not have an FPGA does not mean it is not useful or worthy of the effort to build it.

  1. Start small and think simple 1st projects
  2. Use known topologies.
  3. Use standard parts.
  4. Think about rig maintenance (like access).
  5. Think prototype and then a final build.
  6. Make it a single band as a starting place.
  7. Gather information and data on the circuits.
  8. A flashlight and screwdriver are not enough
  9. Build in modules ~ test as you progress.
  10. Keep records and test data
  11. Organize the information so it's useful
  12. Send me the code -- Think when you ask this question --- which code?
 
We could add a lot more to the list, but the message is clear you have to think like a homebrewer not just say I want to be a homebrewer. Scratch building a project has to start with a mindset about learning stuff -- for when you know stuff you can do stuff.

Those sending emails must be products of the flash the plastic generation. They read the first page of a murder mystery and immediately jump to the last page and miss everything in between. 

I try to be responsive to requests for assistance but am beginning to believe I should stop. It takes time and my time today is most valuable. In a recent email asking, "send me the code", I suggested the person visit my website and then identify which project. The response back was I looked at a couple of the projects but just send me the code. My time has been wasted!

TYGNYBNT


73's
Pete N6QW


Popular posts from this blog

Sept 6, 2024. Time for courtesy and civility.

Sept 9, 2024. Single Conversion versus Dual Conversion.

Sept 5, 2024. Up Periscope!

September 8, 2024. CQ Contest CQ Contest this is XV9_

Sept 7, 2024. Those 20kHz wide Hi Fi SSB Signals

Sept 10, 2024. When a 50 DB over S9 Signal is not enough Fire in the Wire

August 17, 2024. What would you do?