Skip to main content

April 15, 2024. If you are just now starting to work on your income taxes --likely not a good omen.

April 15th and its Tax Day. Hopefully you are getting enough back to buy an ICOM IC7300. (About $1K is all that is needed) 

Putting aside my personal bias for homebrew gear, the IC7300 has withstood the test of being one of the better purchased radios.

Some personal excitement as I just saw a You Tube video from VK3PTM, who also shares the same first name as me. He has built the PSSST SSB Transceiver from K7TFC's kit and it is inhaling RF in a contest environment. So aside from the original one I built, and the one Todd built we have Peter's (VK3PTM) now hearing signals on 20M. There may be others, but this is the only video I have seen using the kit.

Peter has a blog and he has documented what he has done on the build. There is also a link to the you tube video there.

Once you check out Peter's blog then compare Todd's kit to my prototype below and you get a feel of the FB work done by Todd.



The excitement also holds for me a clear view that it is possible to build a good working radio that does not use Bitx circuits, TIA Amps, nor circuits from EMRFD or something being beat around by a Facebook group. The bonus only 7 transistors. This truly is a DifX --something Different than a warmed over Bitx with a new front panel.

All of my projects I consider as experimenter's platforms and Todd's kit is designed that way. I truly hope there will be some experimentation going on by those who bought the kit. 

To that end I am completing a design for an all PNP version of the P3ST. I even have some preliminary info on a P Type replacement for the IRF510. All of the circuit boards I have stored in the CNC computer will simply port over to the PNP equivalents of the 7 NPN's originally used on the P3ST. Watch this space.

BTW I think I have a way to mount the P type on a heat sink since it has a solder tab. Stay tuned.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

Sept 16, 2024. How a Real Radio should look like!

Sept 15, 2024. Homebrew from ZL2 and LA3 Land

Sept 18, 2024. A failure to communicate! Receiver Gain Distribution.

Sept 17. 2024. Additional Homebrew Considerations

Sept 19, 2024, Craftsmanship, Creativity and Cool!

Sept 14, 2024. More Homebrew Stuff

Sept 20, 2024. The Motorola Lapdock. (I did not misspell Lapdog.)