Skip to main content

July 28, 2024. Another choice for a small box SDR.

Covid19 did some strange things to us as a nation. In my case I actually saved a bit of money! That seems like a weird statement considering toilet paper shot up in price! Let me "splain".


The XYL prior to her move to the Board and Care always needed to be out. Like out to lunch and out to the shopping mall. I think I did 100,000 miles on her Transport Chair. That all changed with Covid19. Thus less $$$ spent on gas, meals out and tips. My radio fund grew by a modest amount and was literally burning a hole in my pocket when I spotted this jewel the Multus Proficio


Just Released the Multus Proficio MKII


It took about a year to save up for the MKI which I have, and that was about $400. The MKII is about $475 fully built.

The MKII has some improvements which I think plays to the CW aficionados and the usual upgrades. Multus has their own SDR software, but the radio will work with HDSDR and I even had my Proficio MKI mostly working on a RPI4 using QUISK. 

The Multus Proficio is a bit larger than the Hermes Lite 2.0 but operates the same bands and modes. I think I see a few more watts out (7 versus 5) from the Proficio. BUT the Multus as of now does not handshake with SDR Console or Thetis s0 you might not need that 50-inch Monitor.

Telling is that the lower costing SDR boxes with the high-end software makes for some real competition -- $400 to 500 versus $2K -3K. 

Believe it or not I have a 100 watt CCI amp and that will drive my SB200 to 600 watts out on 20M all from a Multus located 100 feet from an operating position (like inside the house that has AC in summer and heat in winter)!

Keep an eye out for even more of these type boxes as a choice for a next place to flash the plastic.

BTW Multus also has a line of Linear RF Amps to put some "shoes" on their basic rigs and I think they are also releasing a new amplifier deck. Check their website.

TYGNYB.  In this highly charged political season this indeed is sage advice. 

73's
Pete N6QW

Disclaimer I have no connection with Multus and am just a purchaser of their hardware.

Popular posts from this blog

Sept 6, 2024. Time for courtesy and civility.

Sept 9, 2024. Single Conversion versus Dual Conversion.

Sept 5, 2024. Up Periscope!

Sept 7, 2024. Those 20kHz wide Hi Fi SSB Signals

September 8, 2024. CQ Contest CQ Contest this is XV9_

Sept 10, 2024. When a 50 DB over S9 Signal is not enough Fire in the Wire

August 17, 2024. What would you do?