Skip to main content

March 26, 2024. Old boards that may become rigs.

I have boxes of boards that didn't quite make the grade and I now find since I have little time to build new, this is a perfect time to fix some of those boards. It is all there -- they just don't work.

Here is a case of a candidate board where I tried to skate by with a 4-pole homebrew crystal filter and it had a few hiccups. This is a ripe selection.


 

A Board that might become a Rig.

So, what really happens with a filter of less than 5 or 6 crystals. Ten Tec sold the early Triton I and II radios with 4 pole filters and early on KVG made a 5 pole and 8 pole 9MHz filters. [I can really tell my Triton II only has a four-pole filter. The Triton IV has an 8-pole filter.]

The 1st problem is that the lesser pole filters likely have a shape factor such that the skirts are not approaching vertical but more like gently rolling hills. 
 

A plot from my Nano VNA (one of two) -- more poles would give you skirts that would have a greater depth of null before flaring out. The pass band ripple isn't too shabby, but the broader skirts mean adjacent channels will be heard. 
 
The filter is not symmetrical and favors LSB (right side) as that skirt is more vertical than the left-hand side (USB). Will it work -- yes. Will you get reports of being wide or distorted -- most definitely! But hey you are making contacts with a marginal 4 pole Crystal Filter.

Placing the LO above the Crystal Filter frequency would cause sideband inversion and now that more vertical right side could be used for USB.

The board itself has a steerable module (2 Relays), an ADE-1 (PD/BM), and SBL-1 (Rx/TX Mixer), the 4-pole 4.9512MHz Filter (SMD Caps backside) and two DGM's fashioned from pairs of J310's with a tuned tank, and an on-board BFO with two SMD 2N3904's. A couple of trim pots sets the stage gain (Gate #2) of the DGM's. There is input matching to the DGM's.

I have no recollection why this didn't work but am not seeing the Crystal Filter matching transformers. (Must have been liberated for another project.) Or the input match to the DGM's takes care of that issue since the cores are FT-37-43s.


If this were to be fixed for use (FFU) I would remove the BFO board and use the Arduino + Si5351. 

Today's post demonstrates that sometimes old non-working projects possibly can be resurrected and that I do have a Nano VNA useful in looking at filter pass bands plus knowing how to build crystal BFOs.  

While some would look at the plot as having low pass band ripple, I see a filter likely to show its shortcomings on a contest weekend on 20M and the need to have the LO above the filter frequency to take advantage of the LSB slope.

Check your junk box as you just may have a rig awaiting resurrection.

73's
Pete N6QW



Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able