Skip to main content

May 21, 2024. The Forgotten Element.

Many hams frequently forget that their station is a "system" comprised of major elements. These elements include the Rig, the Operator and the Antenna. The hierarchy places the most emphasis on the Rig with the Antenna not given much thought. [Our forgotten element!]

Today's posting started with a trip down the old rabbit hole.  I subscribe to just a few reflectors including Ten Tec and SWAN. I have several radios each from these two categories.

So, it was a bit of a surprise to see on the Ten Tec reflector that they had a booth at Dayton. I thought they had folded their tent and were just a name from the past. That led to a trip further down the hole to the Ten Tec website. Something caught me completely off guard which was a product evidently introduced in 2023.


This photo leaves you in the dark a bit, but the product is a continuously tunable Dipole, where the dipole length is adjusted to the operating frequency. Think of the StepIR, only this is a dipole whose length is changed from the shack. The product is called the Ten Tec Tune - A Tenna.

This would be a good compromise if you live on a small lot and can have but one antenna. Essentially, I think the portion of the antenna not used as a part of the radiator now is part of the feedline. 

It is not clear how you get it to lengthen once retracted but I suspect some heavy fishing weights on the ends would use gravity to do that job. This sort of approach certainly would keep the dipole from drooping. When I had the extended Lazy H antenna, I used a bucket full of stones to keep it taut. 

I did not see any pricing for this jewel but certainly those with the knack employing Arduinos plus stepper motors with some take up spools could whip up something in their back yard.

Collins Radio back in the day had a product called the Tape Dipole, Model TD-1, which essentially were two tape measures where you could precisely spool out 66.2 feet and be on 40M.  This is same concept except using the Armstrong method of deployment.


I was totally unaware of the Ten Tec antenna or if they were still in business making things. True this is just an item on their website so is this just vaporware. Regardless of the current status you caught my attention and if I had some time, I would whip up something for my use. Immediately I thought of "completing the triangle" and as I did with my Dipole and turned it into a Delta Loop.

If any blog readers know about this product drop me a line at my QRZ.com email.

Several years ago, I had a couple of QSO's with a ham in 4-Land where on our initial contact he was running a Kenwood TS-2000 and a chunk of wire on the floor of his garage. He shared with me that he wasn't making many contacts so a QSO to the left coast was DX. Several weeks later another QSO and he proudly announces he upgraded to a ICOM 7850. 

That is a 5X increase in investment from $2K for the TS-2000 to $10K for the IC-7850. He lamented that while the 7850 had more bells and whistles, the number of contacts had not improved. 

So, what were his expectations using the same chunk of wire on his garage floor? For a lot less money he could have kept the TS-2000 and put up a decent dipole. Any dipole even up at 15 feet would be a marked improvement over a random chunk of wire on the ground!

Always slightly ahead of the curve...

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able