Skip to main content

February 22, 2024. I get mail!

I get lots of emails including an exciting notification that $282,567.19 has been deposited for me in a Bank located in Nigeria.

Often the emails may involve questions about my published projects or perhaps a comment on a You Tube video. Some were referred to me by others. Mail is good and a distraction from my day job at the Board and Care Facility.

That said there should be a bit of effort on the part of the sender to frame the question so it can be answered. One email simply said "Send Me the Code". So OK the code to my Junior HS padlock was 38 22 34. It took two more rounds to get to which code he wanted.

Just in the last week came two emails requesting technical information with one specifically on how to address a noise problem in a radio. This noise issue was something I ran into personally and found a couple of miracle cures. I was happy to respond to that inquiry for it was a real world problem for me.  



This power conditioner circuit came from Bill, N2CQR and solved a problem I had with this beautiful color OLED that had  a switching power supply installed on the back of the display. The switching noise was being picked up through the power rail to the LM386


Follow the two yellow wires!

The other suggestion was to purchase an inline ground isolation device (Amazon ~ $8)

MPOW In Line Ground Isolation Device


It takes time to respond to these emails and I heard nothing back from this sender. A courteous reply like Thank You or I got it would seem appropriate.

Then there is the separate category of what I call the Snarky comments from some Home Brewer's who think homebrew is just like building a kit. These are real comments from real senders.


Some of the comments are actually all in one. A ham was building the P3ST direct from my design. He should have waited for K7TFC's kits to be available. 
 
His issue was the Band Pass Filter. Since he didn't know where or how to find the correct part specified, he substituted a smaller value than what was required for the section coupling capacitor. 
 
He measured the response with his newly acquired Nano VNA and saw a peaked curve which is indicative of too small of a coupling cap.  His email to me "My Nano VNA says there is a problem with your design."
 
My email back -- check the section coupling cap it is the wrong value. His email back where do I get those small value caps. I gave him three answers including a twisted wire gimmick.

His email back -- I never built a gimmick but it won't work as the wires are too floppy. K7TFC's kit part for the BPF section coupling cap is a twisted wire gimmick. 

The real thrust is this person was unprepared to take on a project like the P3ST sans any getting smarts about the circuits and worst ever -- he was not listening but wanted to simply say your design sucks!

We all need to do a better job of listening and be responsible in our answers. If you don't know say so. I marvel at these .io groups where a question is posed and an answer is given by one of the resident "lurkers". Typically it is answer that could cause damage to a radio or is solving a different problem. 
 
WE like to think we know everything but we don't. In a recent solder smoke podcast I mentioned the use of Lissajous Figures to display a 90 degree phase shift. Bill asked me what was the correct pronunciation of that word. I admitted I didn't know.  I just say "Lisa Juice". To me the correct speak is not as important that if I see an ellipse in the right hand upper quadrant that it is not 90 degrees. 

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able