Skip to main content

April 5, 2024. A Tale of Two Amplifiers.

Some things just work and thence become our go to circuits. Every homebrewer has these pet circuits. The downside is that we may never venture to newer or perhaps even better circuits. 

The main concept behind my 7 Transistor PSSST_20 Transceiver design was to shun circuits used in the Bitx, EMRFD, TIA Amps and Facebook Groups. I was successful and this was a watershed moment to dare to be different. 

While indeed there is nothing wrong with the aforementioned circuits, I wanted to challenge myself to coming up with a workable transceiver that was based on none of those. Right now, hams across the world are building K7TFC's kit based on my PSSST design. 

One of the modules in the PSSST is a Driver Stage using the 2N2219A transistor. This device is a good substitute at HF for the now expensive 2N3866 or 2N5109. Incidentally, the 2N2222A (TO-18 metal can) has the same transistor specifications as the 2N2219A with a lesser device dissipation. 
 
 
2N2219A Driver Circuit
 

But the IMP TR design using mostly PNP transistors caused me to look at a PNP equivalent to the 2N2219A and indeed it has a PNP counterpart, the 2N2905. This took me to LT Spice and the following simulation. 
 
 
PNP Driver Amp ~ 2N2905
 
 
Output at 15M

Make C3 equal to 5nF for a peaked output at 20M. 
 
Making C3 = 15nF will drive the output peak lower in frequency for coverage on 40M.
 


A second "find" was purely accidental when inadvertently my bench supply was set to 24VDC, and I saw 20Volts PTP coming out of the 2N2219A.  That my friend is 1 watt of RF. [20^2 = 400 and 2.5 X 400 = 1000 milliwatts.]

Enter the Mean Well DC to DC convertor where 9 to 18VDC input produces 24VDC at 600 ma. This converter is about 2 inches square and 1/4 inch high, something easily fit into your rig. About $21. I used this on a 15M radio for the IRF510 output stage.

If you up the voltage on the 2N2219A or 2N2905 then a really big heatsink is necessary as that device is running smoking hot. You also will need to tweak the Emitter resistor on the 2N2219A as it already is running hot with only 12VDC on the collector. But I leave that to you to experiment with and smoke a few devices.
 
The unconventional output from today's post: PNP RF amplifiers and higher supply voltage sources.

Keep on noodling as soldering is the last thing you do. Happy Friday.

73's
Pete N6QW

Popular posts from this blog

2019 ~ What is the simplest homebrew SSB Transceiver that can be built?

4/27/2019 The Future of our Hobby is Here! Forget those simple rigs with homebrew crystal filters, cranky IRF510's and the analog VFO's. SDR is the wave that is building strength just like a Tsunami. With the Soft Rock V6.3 SMD Version + RRPi2 With the Omnia SDR and RPi2 Pete N6QW How Simple & How Cheap can you  build a Homebrew SSB Transceiver? 4/26/2019 --- I just converted my websites from an obsolete Windows Based Server with GoDaddy to their cPanel (Linux). This was a cost issue as a one year renewal of the Windows Server would buy three years on the cPanel. GoDaddy is discouraging the use of what they call the Obsolete Windows System. So I had to migrate and reload the whole pastapete.com, jessystems.com and the n6qw.com sites to the Linux based servers. Some files and links got lost in the translation --so you might not be able to see everything! Essentially I have  to open every link to verify that it works --that may take some time

New Technology for 2020 ~ The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver

  The Hermes Lite 2.0 SDR Transceiver. November 7th, 2020 ~ It's Settled! It is done! The stain of the Trump era is soon to be removed! Thanks to all who voted. The Voice of the People has been heard.  Congratulations to President Elect Biden and Vice President Elect Harris. Pete N6QW November 3rd, 2020 -- IT WAS THE MOUSE   We all know this is Dump Trump  Day. Go out and vote! It was the mouse! Back in 1999 I stupidly was one of the very first to purchase a Ten Tec Pegasus. Never buy the first batch of a new model.  Touted as the world's first computer controlled radio , actually I think the Kachina 505 was really the first. But the Pegasus was fraught with problems including a trip back to the Smokey Mountains. I was using an older Windows 95 machine to control the Pegasus and that may be a co-conspirator. Well after many calls to TT -- finally someone who has some smarts told me: Fix your station ground, Make all leads short and Buy stock in a ferrite bead company. I did all

The Next Project Updated 10/10/2022! The rubber has hit the pavement!

The Next Project... A 2022 Transceiver. 10/10/2022 My Apologies. It is with regret that I will be terminating any further work on this project. My caregiver duties have over time become a greater time sink and it is almost impossible to build something working only 10-15 minutes at a time spread out over a day. I apologize for not getting it from design ideas to complete hardware. Most likely I have built the last transceiver I will ever build. Thanks for riding along. My website https://www.n6qw.com/  has the pdf of the postings and I will leave this blog page as is. 73's Pete N6QW 10/05/2022 Still Alive! Regrettably my caregiver duties have overtaken any free time so not much progress. But I am hopeful yet this week I will cut at least one board. A PSA from N6QW.  Think of it like Mary Jo has a "crink" in her back and unable to get in the backseat of the 57 VW Beetle. A bit of a setback but not forever.  Seems like the hired caregiver had a small emergency and not able